Scott tagged me Okay, this is pretty hard considering all I’ve shared here over the years.
1. I spent a night in a county jail because a friend of mine lied when he told me he had permission to borrow his parent’s car. He drove us up to Connecticut to meet a girlfriend of his. Turns out he was helping her run away and that he lied to me about the whole thing. The police stopped us in a park we were hanging out in, across state lines. Me, not knowing why, was umm… more than a little stunned. I found out overnight while chatting with him in our cell. How nice. Anyway, his parents came up to pick us up. Charges were dropped. Along the way, his parents told me how much they blamed me, having the long hair, ripped jeans, and broken home, I was, well ya know, the kid from the wrong side of the tracks. Obviously to blame. They dropped me off on the side of the highway (I-95) at the Philadelphia city limit.
2. I like Bon Jovi. And I like Metallica. And I like Poison. And I like Dio. And I like The Ramones. And I like Twisted Sister. And I like KISS. And I like Marvin Gaye. And I like Johnny Cash. And I like Pat Benatar. And I’m not afraid to say all that in the same breath. You know, Duran Duran had their moments too.
3. As a teenager with his own apartment, I tended to drink… a lot. I used to take hard liquor bottles (Jack Daniel’s, Southern Comfort, etc) and use them as decoration. Sad huh?
4. I thought I was going to die by the time I was 30. Glad I didn’t. In fact, you know all those folks who look back wistfully on their teenage years? Maybe you’re one of them? Not me. My teenage years and my early twenties were hell on Earth. I’m happier now then I’ve ever been.
5. Know that scene in Return of the Jedi with Luke looking at his gloved robotic hand after severing Darth Vader’s? That’s Luke realizing he’s on a path that mirrors his father’s. The father he never knew. It shocks him just enough to come out of his rage and throw his saber to the ground. I carry a fear that life works that way. And since I don’t know my father – I don’t have that knowledge as a clue to what I am evolving into. Hopefully it’s good.
Okay, time for me to tag some folks and break the rules (only supposed to tag five I think…)… Howard, Albert, Garret, Bill, Shelley, Katey, Ron, Antonella, Jessica, pesky, Matt, Frank, Rafe, Seth, Dave, and Jessica.