Mainstream TV news sucks beyond belief. It’s commentary seems pulled directly from football games and boxing matches. You will need to dig to form educated opinions.
frontline: the long road to war. Find out how we got here. A comprehensive backgrounder on the last 12 years.
Esquire: The Pentagon’s New Map. The expressed goals: To connect the world. Spread globalization. Disconnectedness defines danger. Shrink the gap.
Guardian: Bill Clinton: Trust Tony’s judgment. President Clinton was globalization’s greatest champion.
Reuters: no clear proof globalization helps the poor. Uh-oh.
Newsweek: Where did the love go?. I won’t repeat their stupid title. But after 9/11 the world stood behind us. What about now? A must read.
WashPost: Gary Hart, out of the shadow of doom. A candidate?
Questions to ask yourself:
- President Clinton acted without UN support in Bosnia. Read his speach to the United States justifying our actions. What is it about this time that is different?
- Whether or not you believe our actions in Iraq are justified or not, how long do you think our commitment will need to be to reach our goals? How about after the military action stops?
- What will the ramifications of the commitment be? Are we prepared to make the called for sacrifices? Is anyone asking us of them? Warning us of them?
- What of Bin Laden, the bastard that attacked us? Are we safer today then we were before 9/11? If so, by how much?
- Are you among those who think Saddam was behind 9/11? Why with the reporting (altnernative and mainstream) to the contrary?
- Does the growing intolerance of thought and expression worry you?
- Is patriotrism love of the flag or of the Constitution?
- Did you vote last election? Is not voting patriotic? Did you not vote but recently feel someone else wasn’t patriotic? What are your responsibilities as a citizen?
- Where did the wide support after 9/11 go? Do you even remember it?
- Do you feel these events are beyond your control? Do you wonder why you should even care?
- President Clinton was the first Boomer President. President George W. Bush is the second. Boomers and Gen-X are largely in charge now. Do you think it a coincidence that the structures the WWII generation put in place are now being dismantled, marginalized, and maligned?
- Broad cooperation is needed to fight terrorism. How have our diplomatic efforts gone to achieve this aim?
- Doesn’t it prove something positive that Germany is pacifist?
- Are there any historical time periods that mirror our own and do they provide us with any lessons? What did leaders in that age do in response? Were the 90s a mirror image of the 20s?
- Do you think that leaving Saddam in place is good for the civilian population of Iraq? How has it been the last 12 years? What are the alternatives?
Like Rafe (rc3.org) I apologize for the current events linkage. I will refrain from commentary and do my best to not contribute to data smog. It’s real, real thick right now.
My object in living is to unite
My avocation and my vocation
As my two eyes make one in sight.
Only where love and need are one,
And the work is play for mortal stakes,
Is the deed ever really done
For Heaven and future’s sakes.